Monday, August 16, 2010

Anti-Frizz Hair Products and Giovanni Frizz Be Gone Review

My main hair concern has got to be frizz. I have been blessed/cursed with big hair. Thick wavy locks that have a tendency to fro, frizz, and look dull and dry unless I apply some taming product and blow dry with a diffuser. I have tried multiple different products over the years (since about the 10th grade when I got 'schooled' on hair maintenance by my hair guru bff). 


Here's a general list:


  • John Frieda Frizz Ease Hair Serum Extra Strength Formula - I still have a bottle of this on my vanity...can never seem to finish this product off. It's what I use when I run out of other products. Cannot really say I see a difference after applying this serum, hair doesn't appear less frizzy or dry looking. Also, I have to be very careful to apply a tiny bit, otherwise my hair just looks oily. Not worth the price for this high end drugstore product!
  • John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Shine Shock Leave-on Perfecting Glosser - Now, this product is intended more to give hair a glossy shine, but it's thick oily texture also helped tame frizz somewhat, if you go tthe amount right...too much and you end up with greasy looking locks :( Again, not worth the price to me, does not fully deliver!
  • Sunsilk Anti-Poof 24/7 Creme - Let's just say that with a name like that, I had high hopes! Unfortunately, instead of taming frizz while maintaining body, the cream simply weighed my hair down. 
  • Dove Smooth and Soft Anti-Frizz Cream - Same story as with the Sunsilk creme, left my hair flat and coarse feeling...no smoothness or softness!
  • Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Leave-In Weightless Anti-Frizz Serum - This product had been my HG for the past couple of years! I applied a teeny tiny amount to towel dried hair and not only did it smell divine, it also helped to tame the frizzies! Why, oh why, did it have to be discontinued? Garnier Fructis now has a Sleek and Shine Cream version, but I can't say I feel the same way about it. 
  • Giovanni Frizz Be Gone Hair Serum - I recently discovered this product through TotalBeauty.com. It was highly rated as a top hair product under $10. Cheap, anti-frizz product in serum? How could I say no?? I've been using it for a month and am completely sold! I use a small amount (think diameter of pencil eraser) on the ends of my towel dried hair, concentrated on the ends. Since it is a serum and oily, I will apply any of the left over product on my hands to my bangs and the hair framing my face. I blow dry with a diffuser and then will apply the same amount after my hair is almost completely dry (don't usually have the patience to dry it the whole way!) to the ends and let them air dry. The result is a significant reduction in frizz while maintaining body and adding loads of pretty shine! It has a nice floral scent to boot. So glad to have found this Garnier Fructis Serum replacement...I honestly think it's an upgrade :) Also, since only a tiny amount is necessary for each use, the product will last a long time...how's that for great value?

1 comment:

  1. Sleek & Shine Serum was also my go-to for my frizzy, curly hair. If I dry my hair without adding this product, I observe that, although I wouldn't call it tight curls, my hair leans on the curly side more than the wavy side. Using the product, though, since it is "Sleek" and Shine and not "Curly" and Shine, my curls are loosened a bit to get a more wavy look (which I prefer).

    But when they discontinued the serum, I wasn't as sad. My scalp is already oily to begin with and the serum didn't help during summer days. The cream version is much better for me; using the same (or even less) amount creates the same look, but with much more natural feel. Albeit, I do complain that the cream smell isn't as lovely as the serum's was!

    The Giovanni frizz be gone looks promising! I'll definitely check that out! (As soon as I finish my enormous bottle of Sleek and Shine... I'm approaching the end of it.)

    --SK

    ReplyDelete