Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hits n' Misses: Lip Products

My latest craze has been collecting lip products. Up until a couple of years ago, my only real exposure to lip products has been tacky and bright red stage lipsticks (I'll do another post sometime on the horrors of dance makeup :P) and clear glosses and balms. I have a teeny tiny collection of colored lip products that range from daily must-haves to the not-so-greats. Here's a run through of my mini-stash:

1) Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer - Being such a huge fan of Burt's Bees Lip Balm, I just had to try out these shimmers. I have four different shades:
- Raisin - a dark reddish, berry color
- Rhubarb - a mauve-y pink color
- Nutmeg - a peachy nude color
- Papaya - a dark coral color
From the left: Raisin, Rhubarb, Nutmeg, Papaya







As advertised, these products are indeed shimmery and give a cooling effect to the lips. They glide on very smoothly and the color intensity is buildable. I personally prefer to mix the Raisin and Rhubarb colors as together they give me a nicer shade then when used individually. I find Raisin to be a little too dark and Rhubarb to be a little too bright for my taste. These two shades are shimmery, whereas Nutmeg and Papaya appear glittery, which I don't like. The Nutmeg shade appears to wash me out, this may be due to my skin color (olive skin with warm undertone) or that I have pretty pigmented lips. Although they were easy to find (drugstore/Walmart) and not very expensive, I do not think I will be repurchasing these Lip Shimmers.


2) Burt's Bees Super Shiny Natural Lip Gloss- Again, my drugstore/Walmart beauty aisle curiosity steered me towards purchasing 2 tubes of this gloss:







- Nectar Nude - clear gloss with golden shimmer
- Zesty Red - reddish-maroon gloss with shimmer

From the left: Zesty Red (less and more product), Nectar Nude (less and more product)

I find these lip glosses work best on top of lip balms or lipsticks because they aren't very moisturizing . My favorite is the Zesty Red as I find it really suits my coloring. They are shimmery, but I do not find them to be glittery, which is a plus in my book! The only downside is that at times the gloss can feel a bit gritty on my lips. I will definitely be repurchasing the Zesty Red gloss

3) Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey - My 1st non-drug store lip product purchase! I got this the first time I went to Sephora and absolutely love it! It's more like a gloss than a lipstick (hence almost lipstick). The color is a darker reddish shade (don't be fooled by the actual color of the lipstick), glides on very smoothly, and is extremely buildable. I did about three or four layers in my swatch, but you can make it a lot darker if that's what you prefer. It has a light, pleasant scent. I will definitely repurchase this even though at $14 my bargain hunter's soul found it a tad bit pricey!

4) Maybelline Colorsensational Lipstick in Blushing Brunette - Nice creamy mauve-y pink lipstick with a bit of shimmer. Not so sure if this is the best shade for me, I find it a bit too light pink, but combined with my Burt's Bees gloss in Zesty Red, it's perfect! It has a pleasant scent! I will probably not repurchase this one as I'd like to try another.

5) Revlon Super Lustrous Creme Lipstick in Rum Raisin - My current favorite lipstick! Can be a bit drying, but I like to cover it with a slick of Eucerin Aquaphor or Blistex DCT and I'm good to go! I really love the brownish-reddish shade as it is not too bright nor too dark. I find it to be a natural color on me, not too crazy a shade for work or too dull for night. Especially love that it is matte and not shimmery/glittery at all! Seems unscented to me. Will definitely repurchase this one.

6) L'Oreal Colour Riche Lipstick in Fairest Nude - Last week I was on the search for the perfect nude shade...sadly I am not so sure if "nude" really suits me or my taste. I am not so sure how much I like muting my natural lip color. Fairest Nude is a pinky nude color which really does not suit me at all. I was really disappointed after reading lots of positive reviews on MUA and also seeing a lot of YT Makeup Guru's recommending it. I am considering returning this as I do not think I will be wearing it at all, thanks to Rite-Aid's lenient return policy!

From the left: Black Honey, Blushing Brunette, Rum Raisin, Fairest Nude

So there you all have it, my very tiny lip product stash...my pride and joy :P I am hoping to add the L'Oreal Colour Juice Stick Lipstick in Personali-tea to my collection soon as I've heard good things about it and that it suits all skin tones (my last attempt at nude). Any idea where I can find it, besides online? I've searched a couple of drugstores to no avail.

Any other lip product recommendations?

Til next time,
Mani :)

No comments:

Post a Comment