Saturday, June 26, 2010

Moisturizers and Creams and Sunscreens, Oh My! - Part I: Daily Body Moisturizers

Ah summer! The glorious season where we shrug off bulky jackets, sweaters, and long johns and wear light and airy blouses, tanks, and skirts instead! Baring all this skin really has me focused on making sure that I'm putting my best face...arms, legs, and feet forward! I'd like to do a run through/review of the body moisturizers, face creams, and sunscreen products that I've tried and let you know which ones I can't live without and those which I'm tossing aside.

I'm making this a three-parter, this post's topic: Daily Body Moisturizers.
Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Moisturizing Lotion - Grade: A-
I am currently on my second 18 fl. oz. bottle of this lotion and I whole-heartedly recommend it! My skin is on the dry and sensitive side and this fragrance-free lotion does not leave me with any itchy red areas or irritation. I usually use this right after the shower or before I go to sleep. For the most part this lotion does leave me feeling moisturized all day long as promised. I do find, however, when I am shaving my legs more frequently (i.e. summertime) that this lotion does not do the trick.

Eucerin Original Creme - Grade: B
Eucerin Original Creme is my go-to moisturizer when I have super dry skin or irritation from shaving or waxing. The thick creme consistency lends itself to lasting for a very long time on my skin, usually until my next shower! Unfortunately, since it is so thick, I cannot use this is a daily moisturizer.

Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Lotion - Grade: C
Prior to my Aveeno purchase, this was the lotion gracing the top of my dresser. This seemed to me like a watered down version of the Original Creme and the lotion did last for a long time on my skin. However, it was not so great for a daily, after-the-shower, moisturizer, which is what I wanted. I had to make sure that every drop of water was off of my body prior to applying it, otherwise it would apply too superficially and not be as effective. Not the best option for a lazy girl like myself :P

Jergens Original Scent Cherry-Almond Moisturizer - Grade - D
This lotion is in my childhood bedroom, so every time I go home to see my family, I end up using it. The consistency of the lotion itself is not bad. It is not too watery and not too thick and applies very easily. It does, however, give me some irritation when I use it after shaving. I also completely hate the scent! It sounds like it should smell good...I like the scent of cherry and almond...but for some reason this particular combo, I cannot stand it! I need to get myself an alternative for home-use, pronto!

Equate Aloe Vera Vitamin E Baby Oil Gel - Grade - A-
Yes, I know this is a Johnson and Johnson's rip-off, but I'm a bargain hunter :P This product has been what I have been reaching for lately to coat my just-shaved legs! I have zero irritation or red bumps afterwards and still feel pretty moisturized. The downside is that my legs can feel a little greasy if I apply too much, but it is the best solution I have, so I am dealing with that. Growing up I used baby oil, but now I prefer gel because it has the consistency of lotion while still remaining an oil, which means less mess.

Bath and Body Works True Blue Spa Shea Cashmere Hand Cream - Grade - Incomplete
So this technically doesn't fit in with this category of daily body moisturizers, but a friend of mine introduced this to me and I fell in love with it! BBW was having a sale on the mini bottle and I couldn't resist picking it up. I am not so sure how much I understand the cashmere extract ingredient, but this thick hand cream really does leave my hands feeling super soft and smooth to the touch. It's a really delightful feeling! It leaves behind a subtle shimmer which I am also a big fan of, though I'd prefer that for my legs as a nice touch when I'm wearing skirts or capris. I've given this product an Incomplete grade because I have yet to spring for the body lotion/body cream, I'm waiting for a good sale :P

I'm still waiting on that A+ product, what daily body moisturizer would you recommend?

Til next time,
Mani :)

No comments:

Post a Comment